Positive emotions broaden your sense of possibilities and open your mind, which in turn allows you to build new skills and resources that can provide value in other areas of your life. As we discussed earlier, negative emotions do the opposite. Why? Because building skills for future use is irrelevant when there is immediate threat or danger (like the tiger on the path).
This means if you can learn to harness positive states that regularly emanate from the NLP circle of excellence method, your mind will be more available to absorb new information and learn new skills. It’s a no-brainer!
This may be the time for you to stop being an emotional victim and take charge of your inner life. The circle of excellence could be a primary tool in your effort to develop mentally and emotionally.
The circle of excellence harnesses your positive, resourceful qualities and brings them to fruition in your day to day experience. For example, perhaps you feel you are lacking in self-confidence, or the burdens of life are getting too heavy. Maybe you have a monumental task ahead of you and feel you might not be able to do it.
Whatever the case may be, experiencing the positive feeling behind the accomplishments, good qualities, and potential that you have will greatly benefit you.
When you feel yourself in need of the circle of excellence protocol, do the following:
1. Draw a circle (using your imagination) on the ground in front of you. large enough to step into. (If it helps, physically outline a circle with chalk or tape.)
2. Within that circle imagine every good thing about yourself. Take every good deed, every goal achieved, every strength, and any other source of positivity that resides within yourself and place it in that circle. Imagine the colors, shapes, sounds, and feelings building inside the circle as you observe from the outside.
Do you want to experience inside yourself what’s happening in that circle of (your) excellence? If so,
3. Physically step inside your circle. Take a deep breath and feel the positive vibrations. See the beautiful, positive colors in your minds-eye. Enjoy it for a bit!
Nice, huh? You did it! The NLP circle of excellence is all yours. Now, you can do several things, if you want to keep this resource with you:
• From inside the circle, think of the rest of your day, week or month. Allow all the times and place you’ll need these resources to appear. Project your excellence into these situations:)
• When finished, ‘pick up’ (using your imagination) your circle of excellence and put it in your back pocket. Whenever you want in the future, you can whip out the circle, toss it on the floor and step into it! (The circle automatically transfers among all the pockets in your wardrobe. Even when you’re wearing no pockets, your circle will still find a place to stash itself so you can use it whenever you need. Amazing, huh?)
• Teach a friend or loved one the circle of excellence. Use your circles as a team and compare notes.
Mike Bundrant is a retired psychotherapist, Master NLP trainer, and practicing life coach. He and his wife, Hope, founded iNLP Center in 2011. For information on coaching with Mike, please visit his coaching website AHA System.